Mid-May list of military, veteran and patriotic events in Central Florida
By Cathy Hayes
- Armed Forces Day primarily honors those persons who are currently serving our country.
- Veterans Day primarily honors those who have served in the past.
- Memorial Day primarily honors those who died while in service to our country, those who have given their lives for the nation’s freedom and the freedom of others.
While it is always appropriate to thank someone in our military services, past and present, Memorial Day is a day for those no longer with us. It was meant to be a more solemn day, rather than celebratory with parties and sales….
- Sat. May 20 – Southwest flight# 5205 from BWI arriving MCO at 8:40pm. 25 veterans (10 from WW2, 10 Korea and 5 Vietnam. 23 men and 2 women; 7 vets are over age 90 with the eldest being 98 yrs young. 8 Army, 7 USAF/USAAC, 7 Navy and 3 Marines.)
- Wed. May 24 – Southwest flight# 1838 from BWI arriving MCO at 9:20pm. 40 vets, including one woman – 3 WW2, 36 Korean War veterans and one Vietnam Veteran.
The groups enter the Hotel end of the Airport terminal area and we greet them in front of the Starbucks – Terminal A, Airside 2 – Oftentimes led from the Tram by a bagpiper. Before leaving home to attend the homecoming, it is suggested that you check online to see if the flight is on time because there may be delays due to weather, mechanical or medical issues.