Everyone intends to be successful, but few people actually are. Here’s how they do it.
image credit: Getty Images
What are some uncommon habits that contribute to success? originally appeared on Quora – the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights.
Answer by Lukas Schwekendiek, life coach, motivational speaker, YouTuber, blogger, on Quora:
1. Sacrificing important things. In the end, we all only have 24 hours in a day. To reach success, you have to sacrifice spending time on less important things to be able to have more time to spend on the things that really matter. Every week, look for things you can give up to gain something better.
2. Believing what you want instead of what others tell you. Most beliefs people hold are not based on fact and are not true whatsoever. Get into the habit of believing things that empower you and make you feel amazing instead of the things that others tell you to believe. If you aren’t certain what is real, believe the thing that makes you feel better.
3. Getting motivated. Motivation is an emotion that doesn’t last, but is of enormous help. Find things that motivate you every day.
4. Thinking less. Thought usually hinders us in our actions. When we think about something before doing it, we tend to think about ways it can go wrong or reasons why we shouldn’t do it. Stop thinking and start doing.
5. Going to bed early. To be at the top of your game you need enough sleep. Yes, successful people get up somewhere between 4 and 6 in the morning, but they can only do that because they go to bed between 9 and 11 in the evening.
6. Keeping track of your progress. Even though you may believe that you know something, unless you can actually see the evidence in front of you, you will never know for sure. Know exactly how you spend your time and how you are doing in your habits. If you are really motivate, graph it!
7. Having a clean space. Keep your apartment, room, or house clean. Leave as little clutter as you can, and always take care of the mess right away. Anything that aids your motivation and makes you feel great is worth doing.
8. Speaking only positively about your future. Say things as if they already happened, or as if there is no way they will not happen. If you believe it is a fact that you will have an amazing life, you will act accordingly and receive it.
9. Being grateful. Thank as many people as you can. Most successful people come from a place where they had absolutely nothing, which is why they are grateful for every little thing that they have. This makes even the most simple things seem special and amazing.
10. Doing it all. Whenever you see tips online or hear about some great strategies, do them all. You can never have enough of a good thing when it comes to reaching success.
11. Never giving up on what matters. If you want something, find a way to get it. Not because you necessarily want that thing that badly, but instead because you absolutely have to prove to yourself that you can achieve whatever you set your mind to.
12. Doing what you said you would, no matter what. Success comes from not giving up halfway through. Everyone intends to be successful in what they do, but only 1% of people actually see it through. Do what you said you would, no matter what.
13. Spending more money on yourself. Not on beauty products, clothes, or video games, but instead on gathering information, finding connections, and learning more through books. Spend money on the only thing that lasts: yourself.
14. Stop caring. Not only about what other people think, but also about whether or not you will accomplish your goal. The less you care about it, the less stress you will experience when you work, which will make your work more fun and you will succeed much faster than you thought you could. Stop chasing it and you will get it.
This question originally appeared on Quora – the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions:
Good Habits: What are some good habits of highly influential leaders?
Sources of Happiness: What are the most important sources of happiness in life?
Mindset: How do I stop quitting when things get difficult?